friendly check-in + a sword and soul experiment

 


Abdoulaye Konaté - Vert Pour Sidy



How are y'all? At least OK, I hope - OK is about where I'm at myself. Kinda a weird vibe today; had to spend a couple hours in a disciplinary committee to try and keep a kid from getting suspended for throwing ink on people (makes no more sense in context), then keep myself from strangling a Ph.D student in my modern historiography seminar who seems hellbent on misinterpreting Trouillot in the most braindead of post-2015 Austin liberal ways (UHHH DOES THE RECORD OF SILENCES TAKE INTO ACCOUNT DIGITAL ARCHIVING STRATEGIES s2g gonna leave a record of violences on your face), but yesterday I got to meet Romanian darling of the litfic world Mircea Cărtărescu at a talk he gave on his cool new book Solenoid so the week is balancing out. Ramadan is def nailing me harder than I expected this year when combined with everything else. Slowly moving beyond the need to apologize for inactivity here but I will never get past allowing other people's posts to stack up unread in my RSS feed. Climbing the mountain soon! Until then, everyone pls stop writing high quality posts as a professional courtesy.


Two things: first, I'm interested in people's albums of the year for 2022. I was asked this a couple days ago and it was shockingly hard for me to form a list. After much agonizing, the best I could do is this as far as stuff that I knew would be on there in some order:


  • Makaya McCraven, In These Times

  • billy woods, Aethiopes 

  • Moor Mother, Jazz Codes 

  • Tumi Mogorosi, Group Theory: Black Music

  • Sudan Archives, Natural Brown Prom Queen 

  • JID, The Forever Story

  • Soul Glo, Diaspora Problems

  • Cate Le Bon, Pompeii

Now that I've shown my whole ass and made my disgusting "black music for white people" Talented Tenth proclivities clear, what would y'all put down? I have gotten hints from some friends of the blog (saying "friends of the blog" all the time is starting to feel like a way to avoid admitting that I'd call internet people I've known for ~six months my friends) on musical taste before - Marcia and Dan even have posts! - but it's a different game to talk about recent music. 

Second, there was a brief discussion on Discord earlier today about Spears of the Dawn and its place as a RPG built around the Sword and Soul genre rather than a broader Afrofantasy game + why that makes it more tolerable than other attempts at Afrofantastic pastiche in the hobby. Despite my (frequently stated) intense dislike of Black Atlantic concerns serving as the primary driver of art ostensibly focused on the Continent - possibly in an attempt to assuage my own deeply-rooted diasporic guilt, many such cases! - the whole thing was a reminder of how fun Sword and Soul fiction is. Like...it's got most of the problems that OG pulp stuff does, esp. where gender and historicization are concerned, but I am choosing to make a Zedeckian stand. In the rest of this post, I'll CONFRONT my clear love of Changa beating the shit out of slavers by writing a bit of Sword and Soul as an experiment in copying some of the tonal and stylistic elements. I only gave this a skim before posting so y'know but at least it'll exorcise this demon.






don't even remember what part of the book this is representing anymore but it conveys the feeling excellently





Ruzuna the Lance, Pneumocrat of the Ivory Legion and Terror of the Shackle Islands, sat in a moss-walled cave and shivered.


Perched on an ancient stone before her, the Demonmask Witch sawed side-to-side erratically in his trance, furling and unfurling his bone-thin fingers as he crossed the dream-worlds that only the few surviving students of the Torch Tree Sect could ever hope to reach. His eyelids flickered constantly, revealing and then hiding a crescent of glistening white eyeball many times each second. His raffia cloak had been dyed blue and gold when they had set out, but its color was now obscured by mud, blood, and cobwebs.


The source of that blood - the cave’s guardian - was now serving as Ruzuna's headrest. It was some kind of atavistic relative of the dragon, she thought, though it had hardly died a dragon’s dignified death. Still, its fearsome appearance had kept the spirit-stone safe from curious thieves and overambitious witches until today.


“Hurry up, you gristly old twig,” she grunted at her witch, with no expectation of a response.


“Ruzuna,” spake the sorcerer’s mouth, with a voice that was not his own. “Dear one.”


She leapt up and seized her battle-axe. Cold sweat wetted its leather haft. “Your name, now - or I will split the skull you now wear before you have a chance to enspell me!”


A slow and sickly laugh came forth to meet her weapon. “You came searching for your grandfather, and it is your grandfather you have found. Now sit, sweet child, and hear my oracle.”


“PROOF!” She cried. “Proof, or I strike!”


“When you were but a child and your parents left you in my care, you loved me for a time. It was I who first handed you a spear, and I who first showed you how to take a life. Don’t you remember the look on that assassin’s face when you spilt his lifeblood? That was one lesson that you never forgot. If you had stayed with me, dear one, I'd have made an empress out of you. Pneumocrat, indeed! Are you really content to be the Society’s village dog? Do you not wish you had a fire crown of your own burning above your eyes - those eyes you have inherited from me?”


“So it is you, grandfather,” she said, lowering her weapon. “Dead chiefs have been seen wandering the brothels. The sphinx of the City Forsaken has ceased to cast a shadow. Three comets, one blue, one green, and one white, raced each other across the sky. You must give me your oracle.”


“My oracle, yes,” her grandfather said. “I spirited this morsel from the council-feast of the Wise One, where truth is the palm wine and knowledge the millet flour. For this crime, ten thousand years were added to my punishment. Heed me well, my child. Seek the mistress of song and sword. The Society’s fate hangs upon her word; you took her hand in the Broken Lands, I’ve heard.”


“Aminatu!” Ruzuna whispered. “It could only be…but I took more than her hand, grandfather. I slew her and all her clan!”


“Perhaps that day your blade slid short, for now she sits in the Mansa Ilyasu’s court.”


"Then I must kill her. The Society will reward me greatly.”


“Or you could spare her,” said Grandfather, “and give back what you took. She holds the key to rising above your station, dear girl. In the footsteps of her death there would come that ugly, hopeless creature we call Peace; what need will there be for you in a time ruled by Peace, O Sacker of Cities, Slayer of Pharaohs? What need - what future! The elders will race each other to burn your memory on your funeral pyre. You will be remembered as a distasteful tool that was used and then discarded, a relic of an age when the Society was forced to work with savages to fight off its foes. They will sing your praise-songs less and less often every decade until even the withered husk of your legend is dead in the hearts of men. Is that the fate you desire, great pneumocrat?”


“I–” Ruzuna began.


“Think on it. Both roads lead to the poet-swordswoman. It is yours to decide how to use her.”


Comments

  1. First, this is *awesome*. I am going to have to dive into the sword and soul genre headfirst if this is in any way indicative of what I might find. I also hope you do a bit more of this story, I want to know.

    Second, for the list, the albums themselves need to be from 2022, correct? I can see why you found that difficult - it might be impossible for me, but I will give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, fam! Hope you've been doing well. Looking back at the story now, it's less in tune with the genre than I hoped…more like a blend of older pulp, sword and soul, and my usual bs. I do still like it tho + have a few ideas for further writing. If you're interested in the genre, the Griots anthology is a pretty good sampler.

      Fav albums was the question I was asked but tbh I'm just interested in hearing about any recent releases you've really enjoyed. I don't often get a sense of the new stuff people are listening to.

      Delete
    2. I’ve been thinking this over, and easily my greatest musical discovery of 2022 is Swans – every single thing I have heard by this band is amazing. I can’t believe it considering how long they have been around, but I COMPLETELY missed this band until 2022. It’s really long at two hours, but holy fuck, if you have it, listen to the entirety of “To Be Kind.” (2014). It fucks me up that Gira is in his 50s when he releases this album. Gives me hope.
      If you only have seventeen minutes, listen to “She Loves Us.” The real payoff takes eleven minutes to get to but oh my god is it ever worth it. The thing is, you can’t just skip to eleven in, it only happens in context. In either case, this is something to experience with no distractions and at maximum volume. If you ever see this on one of those digital jukeboxes, I strongly suggest you put it on. You’ll have the place to yourself soon. This shit can set you free. It WILL clear bars.
      I hesitate to send a YT link because the ads will kick in at the very worst moment, I am sure, so I recommend you try to find another platform but:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7gNBS5PXCo

      If you only have five minutes try The Great Annihilator (different album, but again it’s all good):
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu3d1yIZAUw

      One second burns for a billion years
      And time is relative and light is physical
      We feel your body, we feel your feelings
      We see the eye of god shine through the citadel
      And space is empty behind the universe
      The past and future were simultaneous
      Inside your body we feel your emptiness
      The light we breathe in is your unconsciousness
      And your body disappears
      Burning backwards through the years
      And in your hands, time was made
      And through breathing, you'll erase it
      And we can see forever before love and hate
      And we will fall right through
      The wall of the place where we were made
      Right into the open mouth of
      The Great Annihilator

      Delete
    3. damn that's kinda sick
      you ever listen to coheed & cambria

      Delete
    4. You know, I have not, but not by design. I keep hearing the name! I'll check them out!

      Delete
    5. I was in the same boat with Swans - seen em talked about every so often - and godDAMN…actually no words for some of the songs on this album. Probably gonna have to do another post on this, thanks so much for the rec.

      Delete
  2. No worries on the degree of activity, do what you need to do! Looking forward to checking out those albums. Offhand the only thing I can think of us the new gorillaz album but I tend not to listen to full albums too often anymore, usually just make my own playlists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm listening to In These Times and this is a beautiful album, looking forward to working through all the rest as well.

      Delete
    2. Someone on Discord (wish I remembered who so I can credit them) talked about using blogs like a low-stakes, low-pressure form of social media and I've been enjoying that. Maybe like a slower Tumblr? Works well with a hobbyist orientation in general.

      Cracker Island goes hard, I'd have prob included it if I was asked about albums from this year as well. Like I told Dan, tho, my question is broader so it counts! And McCraven is so so good. Would cheerfully rec his music to folks who aren't even that big on jazz. Now that I'm revising, tbh, I'd prob include Soul Glo's Diaspora Problems on my list as well. Anyways, thanks for reading and your continued kindness.

      Delete
    3. I almost never listen to song lyrics, but this popped out to me in DUST TOGETHER in Jazz Codes as I was listening:

      "I am because you are"

      That's Ubuntuism! I'd heard it previously as "I am because we are" but same idea, a kind of humanist alternative to a Cartesian epistemology. And again, really consistent with the kind of interconnectedness of things, whether that be wrt animism, panentheism, superorganisms, or connectionist representations and graph theory, that resonates with me. I've got this on more in the background so not gonna be able to process all of it, but ya this is good.

      Delete
    4. Common Samkange W - genuinely think ubuntuist/hunhuist relational personhood has a lot to recommend it as an ethical system. Jazz Codes is def an album you can let wash over you, tbh, so I wouldn't feel bad about that.

      Delete
    5. from my admittedly very limited knowledge, I like how it is both an ethic and epistemology, and one that is consistent with my general framework of understanding the interconnected and systemic nature of things. Like it seems like a really compelling holistic framework for thinking about a lot of things.

      Delete
  3. What happened in 2015 in Austin to liberals?

    Re: Albums, don't listen to albums. Been watching that new Iron Chef show though. Is a five course meal an album? Is a season of a TV show an album? Couldn't tell you - I don't listen to albums.
    Don't listen to them, but also have been slowly putting together an album for The Hum, the sound that lived in my walls early 2021 and kept me from sleeping. So far:
    Red River - SALEM
    Wasted (Night Wave VIP) - Murkish/Huken
    Alien Crime Lord - The Voidz
    Murder in my Mind - Kordhell

    Solid Imaro-esque fragment, left me wanting more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answer to your questions, I believe, is yes.
      I remember that hum, glad to hear it's legacy lives on in hell.
      Imaro has been on my radar for forever but I'd nearly forgotten about it, have not read it, but it always sounded interesting.

      Delete
    2. Insufferability goes up dramatically with the rise of Techbro Austin - it started well before then tbh but I agree with the recentish Texas Monthly editorial that 2015 was the tipping point: https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/2023-bum-steer-of-year-austin/

      Max has the right of it, yes to all of them. Have you mentioned the Hum on the blog? I feel like I've heard about it in passing there (or on Discord maybe) without understanding the context. Already stole your songlist for my own sick purposes. You should post the completed album when you're done so we can listen for you.

      The style of this comment is deeply Semiurgic in a way that I am pleased to be able to identify.

      Delete
  4. Encountering fiction on an RPG blog usually makes my eyes glaze over*, but this is //good//. Not only is the setting compelling and the style pleasurable to read; but you've established a multifaceted character conflict I want resolution to. That's a lot to accomplish in a page and a half of text.

    *(This is at least 70% a problem with the ways I've abused the dopagenetic pathways of my own brain, rather than a blanket failing on the part of RPG bloggers.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and your kind words! I, too, sometimes struggle with getting through lots of text in blog posts (but don't seem to have that issue with books - maybe it's an expectation thing?) so this is high praise indeed.

      Also, any new music you've been listening to? Besides your own Christmas songs, ofc.

      Delete
    2. Yanno, when I originally commented on this I didn't have any answer to that question and I was kinda embarrassed about it.

      But like a week ago a friend got me listening to Still Woozy - If This Isn't Nice, I don't Know What Is, and I've been listening to it at least twice a day ever since.

      Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior has also been on my mind a lot. :)

      Delete
  5. because of this post i've been struggling to figure out a less generalizing way of saying fuck PHD students without being mean to PHDs who are actually chill and just happen to be PHDs but in any case, they sound like a clown 😔 i hope your week's been going better! it was really nice of you to be there for the kid :)

    also your fiction writing is seriously so good, i want to echo nick in that your style is so fluid and nice to read -- and thank god for a non-patronizing female fantasy protagonist (and potential/ex-antagonist, question mark)! in general i've been thrown off fiction, especially fantasy, for so long, but maybe part of that is just how authors focus so much on like Lore and world-building than characters, dynamics, and story. very good stuff!!!

    also i was listening to in these times as i was typing this, and there was a car alarm honking in rhythm w the music. beautiful. also the song itself is v good! tbc

    ramadan mubarak again, good luck with the last couple of days!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for taking a million years, I didn't realize there were new comments here. Blogger has been very odd for me lately, tho it might be acting weird bc it recently autosuppressed a flurry of spam so I'll be lenient with it. There's no need to be more specific, you can just say you hate Ph.D students. I also hate Ph.D students 😎. The kid didn't get suspended, so it was a worthwhile effort; thankfully I doubt the conditions which led to the fateful event will be replicated soon and the mural that ended up covered in ink was pretty creepy anyways.

      And thank you, that's super kind of you to say. Yeah idk dog - there's certainly a hyperpopular Sandersonian (guh) branch of fantasy writing wisdom that is like the exact opposite of everything folks in our corner of the hobby tend to love about the genre. I talked about this wrt worldbuilding (also guh) with Max and our feelings were largely the same there. Tbh you should totally do fiction on your blog, I had a taste from the Ovidesque poetry (opposite of guh - hug?!) but that ain't enough.

      Omg it was a ~sonic experience~...McCraven would prob love that lmao. From your post, I bet you'd like Sudan Archives the most out of this list - maybe check out Selfish Soul and Homemaker when you have a spare moment?

      Ramadan is in the home stretch! Not sure if I'm any wiser, but I'm still trying to be nicer at least. Eid around the corner - which was weirdly mixed for me as a kid. I'm not sure if this is a broadly canonical position or just Somali folk religion but I remember being told as a kid that all the evil jinn were locked up in Hell during Ramadan, so Eid festivities were partially tainted by the idea of millions of demons returning to the mortal world. Good game scenario, tho.

      Delete
  6. Since time is relative and I can't keep track of years, Cracker Island is my album of '22, despite coming out in '23. Skinny Ape and Captain Chicken alongside Silent Running and Possession Island is just perfect.

    That fiction is also great. Perfect intro to a quest.

    I should see if the library has Imaro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two for Cracker Island! Can't say it's undeserved.

      Thank you, means a lot coming from one of the sultans of blog fiction. I might honestly do a similarly themed Spears of the Dawn one-shot sometime, one of those "fuck it lets run through something" situations.

      If you do check out Imaro, I'd be very interested in your thoughts/a classic review blogpost.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Empty Africa - PF2E's The Mwangi Expanse and the strange career of Black Atlanticism

being a problem - playable orcs at the limits of humanity

An Arrow for the General: Confronting D&D-as-Western in the Kalahari